Monday, September 12, 2011

Our Bedroom Makeover On a Budget... :)

Hi Everyone! Sorry we have been MIA for a few days! It seems like the last days of summer are flying by and in the midst of it all, we have been trying to work on a few little home projects and I haven't seemed to find the time to blog. But, I have been documenting our adventures along the way, so I have a few fun house things to update you on. :)

When we moved into our new house last September, I quickly learned that if I focused on one room at a time and developed a good "decorating" foundation in each room before moving onto the next one, I seemed to be most successful. This method helped me not feel overwhelmed by all of the changes I'd like to make around our house and allowed me to enjoy each room throughout the process. Although there really wasn't much we wanted to change as far as paint colors etc. it has taken us a while to work through the house and make our way to our bedrooms. So this summer, our master bedroom has been our focus. :)

When we moved in, we quickly decided we wanted to paint our bedroom walls a really rich, charcoal gray. We wanted it to feel very crisp, clean, and soothing. But the inspiration for our room really began this summer when we purchased our pie safe. For some reason this piece got the ball rolling on our bedroom makeover project. :) Thank you pie safe (and our Pleasant Valley Pickers - a.k.a. Betsy and Dan)


 Since the completion of our "pie safe" project, our Bedroom Makeover has really kicked into high gear!
To get started, I knew the first thing I wanted to accomplish with the bedroom was to improve the look of our bedding and I needed to do this in a budget friendly way. Pillows and new bedding can really add up so I started a serious hunt for pillow deals! :) I was able to buy some budget friendly Euro Pillows off of Overstock.com and then spent one Saturday on a fabric search looking for the perfect fabric color and design for our bedding. Luckily, I have a sweet mother-in-law who is a wonderful seamstress (a skill I hope to learn someday soon) and she made us two BEAUTIFUL pillow covers!



So after our pillows were complete, the final touch to our bedding update was our headboard "flip." When Whit and I went to the flea market a few weeks ago, we stumbled upon two unique wooden tiles that we fell in love with and desperately wanted to find a place for in our house. We got such a great deal on them and thought they would look really cool as a headboard, so we took a chance and brought them home and we love them!



Well, to sum up, here are the before and after pictures of Project: Re-do Our Bedding 
(original name, I know)...

Before...
More Before...
And After :)
After :)   

I think we might get a little throw to put on the end of the bed to finish it off - but for now, we are really enjoying our new pillows and bedding. :) 

The final phase on our Bedroom Makeover was to come up with some interesting "wall art." I have always loved the way glass plates looked on walls and thought a bedroom would be the last place that you would expect plates to be displayed. So this seemed like the perfect, cost effective option to dress up our blank gray wall. At first, I was going to do some blue colored plates but a very "tasty" decorator all the way from Jackson, Mississippi suggested I use a variety of white plates - an idea I really loved! So this weekend, Whit and I were finally able to hang the plates. (In other words, Whit meticulously hung them, while I observed) :)



Overall, the bedroom makeover has been a very enjoyable and rewarding project! It's a good start to a room that I'm sure we will continue to edit throughout our time in the Little House on the Ridge. :)

We are lucky to have so many helpers - especially Whit's mom, for so many reasons, but we do appreciate her sewing skills! :) 

Well, I'm off to our new and improved bedroom to do a little reading and relaxing. :)

Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend! 

P.S. The Fall is fast approaching...and I cannot wait!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment